Barre, Vt – A school-based health center at Barre City Elementary & Middle School is an extension of the Central Vermont Medical Center’s pediatric primary care practices. It will operate at the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am to 12:30pm providing primary health care to students.
Participation is voluntary and the goal is to keep kids healthy and in school, and as much as possible to maximize their learning potential.
“Kids spend a considerable part of their day in school so providing health care there makes good sense,” said Kathleen Bryant, FNP.
There are many benefits. Students and teachers have more class time because appointments are made to work with the students’ schedule. Kids and parents/guardians benefit because kids get prompt care and follow-up. Parents/guardians are welcome to attend appointments, but if leaving work is difficult health center providers can still treat a child with Parent/guardian permission.
Additionally, “at risk” kids are more easily identified and have access to mental health services, crisis prevention and intervention, counseling and referrals to other needed services.
Health Care Services provided include:
- Evaluation and treatment for illness like the flu, colds, sore throats, ear aches, rashes etc. The providers can prescribe medications so the child’s recovery begins sooner.
- Management of recurring health concerns like frequent colds, headaches, ear aches, acne, allergies etc.
- Ongoing care for chronic conditions like asthma, diabetes, and weight management.
- Helping “at-risk” kids get needed services
- Coordination with existing primary care provider and other services including mental health with assessments and referrals as needed.
CVMC will bill Medicaid/Primary Care Plus or private insurance for the services provided.
For more information about the program call the school nurses Kathryn Bascom or Fran Naramore at 476-6541 or Nurse Practitioners Kathleen Bryant, FNP and Linda Burger, PPCNP-BC, the providers at the School-based Health Center at BCEMS. They can be reached at BCEMS at 476-6541or at their office at Associates in Pediatrics at 371-5950.