Coordinated, Compassionate Care for Seriously Ill Patients
The Department of Palliative Care at CVMC enhances quality of life by relieving pain and other physical, psychological and spiritual symptoms in the population of patients who have advanced illness.
Our Palliative team works together with the rest of your medical team to maximize your quality of life at all stages of your illness. We assist patients and families with complicated medical decisions around the goals of a patient’s care. This may include recommending medications or other treatments to manage the symptoms associated with your illness.
Palliative care helps ensure that patients receive the highest level of coordinated care possible and is available at any time after diagnosis of a serious illness and can be used while receiving curative treatment.
A full range of palliative care services help you and your family:
- Manage pain (physical, spiritual and emotional) and other symptoms throughout your hospitalization.
- Manage anxiety, depression and other emotions that can affect your health.
- Develop and share your overall care goals.
- Learn about medical treatments and their impact on your long-term health.
- Receive clear, ongoing communication from your care team.
- Make informed healthcare decisions.
- Assist in transitions to care locations after your hospitalization.
To request a consultation please tell your doctor or nurse that you would like to meet with the Palliative Care team. A meeting will be arranged with you and your family during your hospital stay. The number is 802-371-5372.
The spiritual care team at CVMC consists of two chaplains who are available weekdays to support patients, their families and friends, and hospital staff.
The Chapel at CVMC
A chapel is located on the second floor of the hospital. It is a quiet sanctuary for reflection, meditation and prayer.