At Central Vermont Medical Center you can rehab from surgery or train through injury with the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill's unique unweighting technology.
CVMC Rehabilitation Therapy is the only hospital-based department in Vermont with an AlterG treadmill.
The AlterG’s unique unweighting technology allows you to rehab from surgery or train through injury. This anti-gravity treadmill reduces the impact of running or walking while your body goes through the normal healing process.
- Helpful for runners who are injured but would like to keep up their mileage for training.
- Decrease to as much as 20% of body weight with the Alter G and continue running with injuries like plantar fasciitis or shin splints.
- Beneficial for post surgery recovery by allowing walking with a normal gait sooner than otherwise possible. It helps prevent development of bad habits and altered gait resulting from pain and injuries.
The AlterG is used in many ways and has a broad range of benefits:
- Rehabilitate after hip, knee, ankle or foot surgery
- Train through an injury
- Reduce impact training and conditioning
- Gait training for neurological patients
- Weight control and reduction
- Strength and conditioning for older patients
Using the AlterG
After you complete your AlterG rehabilitation with your physical therapist, the treadmill is available for use on your own. Or if you haven’t had physical therapy but would like to push yourself harder in your training program or use the treadmill for a weight loss program, a physical therapist would be happy to orient you to the treadmill so you can use it as part of your routine independently.
IMPORTANT: You should not use the AlterG if you have a DVT, cardiac hypotension or an unstable fracture.
Hours of Use
The AlterG treadmill is available for use during these hours:
Monday to Friday: 7:00 am – 5:30pm
If you would like to schedule time to use the AlterG, please stop by the main office (1311 Barre-Montpelier Road), or call the office at 371-4242.
Single Use: 45 minute sessions for $15
Punch Cards: $100 for a 10 punch card for 45 minute sessions
Weight requirements and limits: Weight 85# – 400#, Height – 4’6” – 6’6”
Unit parameters: The treadmill goes up to 12 mph, has an incline up to 15 degrees and can go in reverse up to 3 mph.
What to Bring
We recommend that you bring the following items:
- Appropriate clothing for use while exercising in the AlterG.
- Appropriate footwear for treadmill use.
- A shower is available but you will need to bring your own towel(s) and hygiene products.
We suggest you arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time to change so you are ready to use the AlterG for the whole duration of your scheduled time.
Request an Appointment
Use our online form to request an appointment with a CVMC Physical Therapist (PT), Occupational Therapist (OT) or Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). Once you have filled out the form below, you will be contacted by a scheduler from our Rehabilitation Therapy department.
Referrals: Appointments for OT or SLP require a provider referral. Note that some PT may also require a referral. Our scheduler will discuss this with you on the phone. Click here for more information about Referrals.
This form is for non-urgent appointments only. If you have an urgent medical request, please call 911 immediately or go to your nearest emergency room or express care facility. We do not respond to emergencies through our website.
Please be assured your submission is secure and confidential.