Respiratory Therapy services are those services that help people breathe. At CVMC, these range from helping patients with bronchitis to breathe more freely to evaluating and treating children with asthma in the Emergency Department. Our Respiratory Therapists are also trained to help people quit the tobacco habit. Find out more about how to quit tobacco under the "Learn More" tab.
Scope of Services
All respiratory procedures and diagnostic testing requires a physician order with the exception of Smoking Cessation Classes. Under the direction of the CVMC Medical Staff, our Respiratory Therapists provide care to both inpatients and outpatients.
We assist physicians with both diagnostic tests and treatments. Our services include but are not limited to:
- Patient and family education about pulmonary (lung) diseases
- Ready, Set,...Stop (Smoking cessation classes)
- Emergency breathing assistance (using ventilatory resuscitation)
- Continuous mechanical ventilation for adults
- Emergent ventilation of newborns, infants and children awaiting transfer to another medical facility
- Medicated aerosol therapy
- Oxygen administration
- Chest physiotherapy and bronchial hygiene
- Sampling and analysis of blood samples to measure adequacy of oxygenation and ventilation (blood gas samples).
- Diagnostic testing including:
- Pulmonary Function testing
- Assessment of need for home oxygen
- Newborn hearing screening
Accreditation: The CVMC Blood Gas Lab is fully accredited by the College of American Pathologists.