Central Vermont Medical Center is a patient-centered organization committed to treating all patients equitably, with dignity and respect regardless of the patient's healthcare insurance benefits or financial resources. For persons who have essential healthcare needs that are medically necessary and are uninsured, underinsured, ineligible for a government program or otherwise unable to pay, we have financial assistance programs in place, including discounted and free care. Your inability to pay for medical services should not prevent you from receiving the care you need.
Patient Financial Assistance Guidelines: In accordance with financial need, eligible services under this policy will receive financial assistance based upon the federal poverty guidelines. The amount of assistance provided to a patient will vary based upon their income level and the grant awarded shall ensure the patient is not responsible for more than the amount generally billed to an insured patient.
As defined by the IRS, eligible patients cannot be charged more for emergency or other medically necessary care than amounts generally billed to individuals who have insurance coverage. The average generally billed (AGB) to patients is calculated using the “Look-Back method”; actual claims paid to the organization by Medicare only or claims paid to the organization by Medicare together with all private health insurers, including any associated portions of these claims paid or owed by beneficiaries.
Financial Assistance Program
For patients who express financial hardship, the Central Vermont Medical Center offers free or discounted assistance programs, sometimes referred to as charity care. Our program is based upon the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (FPLG) and eligible patients must pass both an income and assets test to qualify. In addition:
- Patients must live in our service area. They must be full time Vermont residents or residents living greater than 6 months in Vermont.
- Patients living outside of the service area would qualify for emergency care only.
- Service must be medically necessary (e.g. Cosmetic, IVF, Sterilization reversals, are not eligible).
- Patients who are eligible for government sponsored programs are required to apply for Medicaid before they will be considered for this program.
- Household income and assets must be below 400% of the FPLG.
- Patients above 400% of the FPLG are invited to present extenuating circumstances in the form of a letter to be reviewed by an appeals committee.
- If services are above 400% of the FPLG and are catastrophic in nature, coverage is available when the balance due exceeds 50% of the annual household income.
Below are the 2019 Monthly Income and Assets Guidelines:
|FPLG||Less than 200%||201%-250%||251%-300%||301%-350%||351%-400%|
|Financial Assistance Percentage||100%||85%||75%||65%||55%||Asset Limits|
Updated: January 14, 2019 (These guidelines are subject to change at any time.)
To be considered for the Central Vermont Medical Center Financial Assistance Program, complete the application below:
The following documents that apply to your situation are also required:
- Your most recent Federal Income Tax return, including schedule C if self-employed.
- If employed, copies of pay stubs for the last 3 months (or those available), or statement from Employer.
- If you are receiving Social Security benefits and/or pension payments, please send a copy of your check or deposit statement.
- If you receive unemployment compensation, general assistance or food stamps, please send a copy of a recent document showing the amount of your benefit
Central Vermont Medical Center
P.O. Box 547
Barre, VT 05641
Attn: Patient Financial Assistance Program
If you have any questions regarding Central Vermont Medical Center’s Financial Assistance Program or your application status, contact the Financial Counseling office at 802-371-4398.
Prescription Drug Assistance
CVMC offers a Discount Pharmacy Program for eligible applicants. If you would like to apply for discounted prescription medication benefits, please fill out and submit the application below. If you have questions about this program, please call 371-4109.
The state of Vermont's Green Mountain Care is a family of low-cost and free health coverage programs for Vermonters. Green Mountain Care provides uninsured Vermonters with access to quality, comprehensive healthcare coverage at a reasonable cost, including the Dr. Dynasaur and Medicaid programs. To learn more about these programs or to find out which program is best for you, visit www.greenmountaincare.org.
Vermont Health Connect
Financial Assistance Provider Coverage
The following document provides a list of providers NOT covered by our financial assistance policy: